Monday, August 10, 2009

The Day After

This past weekend I completed 60 Magnificent Miles as I participated in the Breast Cancer 3-Day. I have lots of stories to share and pictures as well but right now I want to talk about today, the day after.

Today I couldn't help but think of the hundreds of thousands of women who have already been diagnosed with this dreadful disease. Many of them have lost the battle but for hundreds of thousands more they are still fighting. I couldn't help but think of the 100 survivors who walked 60 Magnificent Miles with me in the rain and in the heat this past weekend, including Laurie, a new friend from Dallas who is celebrating her second year cancer free. I smiled as I thought of Arthanise, my dear friend, a two time survivor, who called me on Tuesday night and told me she was coming to Chicago in support of me. I am reminded of the women who were on this journey with me who are currently undergoing treatment. Perhaps they had a bald head or radiation burns on their arms or maybe they were being pushed in a wheelchair by a teammate or daughter.

I couldn't help but think of those women today as I came downstairs and watched Eleanor's face light up as she realized mama was home. Or as I watched her play with a ray of sunshine coming in the living room window as she squealed with delight. Or as I stood in her doorway and watched her nap with her paci and her lovey. Or as I rocked her before bed tonight smelling her sweet baby smell. I couldn't help but think of those women and wonder what today looked like for them.

Hopefully today we are 60 miles closer to a cure!

2 comments:

  1. Gloria, that is a beautiful post. SO proud of you and I just love your sweet heart! Maybe next year I can hit Atlanta with you...hmmm. :) Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the salmon/vegie packet recipe. I will definitely give it a try! *grin*

    ReplyDelete